Day 3
Wow, what a day, I need a nap! I really took it for granted just how hard it is to work in the rainforest. I must have felt dehydrated by 9AM, and it was a constant battle after that to stay hydrated. Today, was the day that we were able to begin our research. After a morning tour of the botanical garden, and a 1 mile walk down to the Rio Java I was already exhausted, dehydrated, and in need of some rest; however, the next step was to be introduced to the invasive plant species the shampoo ginger. Shampoo ginger (Zingiber zerumbet) is an introduced perennial plant from Asia, and since its introduction has steadily increased in population size and density. We will be doing counts to determine the density of the infestation, and we are off to a good start finishing our first fixed area quadrant. Size and density are both important in describing the current status of the population, and works well for making predictions about how invasive species impact ecosystems and can alter landscapes.
Learning from Rodolfo the director of Las Cruces has already been an amazing experience, the man is so very knowledgeable, and willing to share his knowledge with all of us. I am just full of questions as I hang upon every answer.  Rodolfo taught us how to identify the invasive species as well as the native ginger species, and Nicole and I, along with our mentor Jessica, finished our first transect by 3PM. Finishing early, giving us time for a nice cold shower, and a much needed rest before another amazing meal served by the staff at Las Cruces kitchen. One of the highlights of the day, for me, was meeting the four indigenous people from Panama. Although, I speak very little Spanish I could not wait to hear them speak to us. I wish I could just soak up everything they have to share, and I cannot wait to learn more from them. I am so excited to learn from them about their culture, arts, and their relationship with the land. Once again, I am headed to bed unbelievably excited about what is in store for us tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts