Positively thankful that I am feeling much better. Unfortunately, all the field work is done and the lab work begins. After breakfast Nicole and I got a head start on organizing the data and drafting the final poster. We worked in the lab until lunch time where we enjoyed another wonderful home cooked meal from the staff of Las Cruces. I am really thankful for the awesome hospitality of the local people and the outright cleanliness of the entire station. No other research station that I have visited has been quite so clean, and I have been thoroughly impressed. The exposure to the local culture has been an amazing learning experience and one of my favorite parts of this trip. Today we were blessed to learn from an indigenous chief Lazaro, from Panama how they use the fruit of one of their local trees to paint temporary tattoos, and he gave each one of us a tattoo. You could really see the excitement in my fellow students as they just could barely wait thier turn. After dinner the indigenous group displayed some more of their art work, which is so very impressive. Lazaro’s vegetable ivory carvings were amazing, and done with such intricate detail. Unfortunately, I have already depleted my per diem, and could not afford to buy anyL. Even so it has been another awesome day here at the botanical garden.

Comments

Popular Posts